Re: SSI error messages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSI error messages
Date: 2011-07-15 18:33:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Jul 15, 2011, at 12:06 PM, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
>> I have a suspicion that we might sometimes find the information
>> conveyed by the detail useful when responding to users with
>> questions; but the language as it stands seems confusing for users.

> I think removing info here or making it harder to get would be a mistake.

Agreed. If we can clarify the messages, and/or make sure the
terminology they use is documented, that'd be a good thing; but let's
not just remove them.

I think that Peter's real concern is whether these are worth
translating, and I share that doubt. Perhaps we should invent an
errdetail_internal, parallel to errmsg_internal, that works like
errdetail but doesn't treat the message as a candidate for translation?