Re: PL/Tcl: internal error - cannot create 'normal' interpreter

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabian Peters <fabian(at)ngi(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/Tcl: internal error - cannot create 'normal' interpreter
Date: 2003-04-25 02:40:52
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Fabian Peters <fabian(at)ngi(dot)de> writes:
>> ERROR: pltcl: internal error - cannot create 'normal' interpreter

> Any ideas as to what might be the problem or how to get some more detailed
> info greatly appreciated...

Apparently Tcl_CreateSlave() is failing. Although it doesn't say so on
its man page, it seems likely to me that the parent interpreter's result
would be set to a possibly-useful error message. You might try adding
code to pltcl.c to add the "hold" interpreter's result to this error
message.

We've heard other reports of strange failures involving Tcl_CreateSlave,
but AFAIR the other ones prevented pltcl.so from even getting linked.
If you learn anything I'd like to hear about it...