Re: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog
Date: 2008-07-05 10:32:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>
>> I'm at the PostgreSQL booth, for the RMLL in Mont-de-Marsan
>> (http://rmll.info). I'm trying the wifi system :)
>
> :-)
>
>> Here is the patch that fixes your issue on Win32. Works great on Win32 and
>> Linux... I'm not sure for Mac OS X though.
>
> Hmm, this still isn't looking so good I'm afraid:

:-/

> - If I open the properties dialogue on a database, click the SQL tab
> and then uncheck Read only, having changed nothing, I get asked if I
> want to cancel my edit. I believe this is because in the edit case,
> GetSQL() will return nothing, whilst the textbox may contain '--
> nothing to change'

Fixed.

> - The sizing is still wrong on Mac. Worse, the text boxes no longer
> resize on the resizeable dialogues (dlgFunction, dlgPackage,
> dlgTrigger and friends).
>
> I would suggest avoiding trying to calculate the dimensions in code -

I like this idea.

> in my experience this almost never works well. Instead, I would
> suggest laying the two textboxes and the checkbox in a sizer and
> letting that do the work. Not only should that be easier to code (once
> you fully understand sizers!), but it should work properly on all
> platforms, and be resize-friendly.

OK, it wasn't easy to do. But it now works. I don't specify any size and
the rendering looks great... on Linux. On Windows, it doesn't. I spent
part of the last two days to try to understand the Windows behaviour but
I failed. Do you have any idea on the Windows behavior? is there
something Windows specific when we use the flex grid sizer?

> The same should probably be done for other standard tabs (eg,
> privileges, gucs) when you update all the XRC files as you discussed
> previously.
>
> Sorry, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear - but we'll get there :-)

Oh no problem with me on this. I'm just worried on the number of bad
patches.

The patch attached fixed some issues:
* The "Are you sure..." message is displayed only when "Read Only" is
checked.
* No button is the default on the "Are you sure" message (which has a
weird behaviour... hitting Esc will validate the dialog and the user
will lose his changes... I'm not sure we should keep this).
* the first issue you had.
* Sizing problems fixed on Linux with a wxFlexGridSizer.

Remaining issues:
* Objects' size on Windows (and Max OS X ?).

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Attachment Content-Type Size
enablingsqltextfield_v5.patch text/x-patch 8.5 KB