Re: Does anything dump per-database config settings? (was Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump)

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does anything dump per-database config settings? (was Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump)
Date: 2008-07-01 07:45:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> So put forward a worked-out proposal for some other behavior.
>
>> IMHO the time a dump/restore should be issuing ALTER...SET on a database
>> is when it has issued the corresponding CREATE DATABASE.
>
> So pg_dump would produce this info when, and only when, you'd used
> --create? I agree that it seems sensible in that case, I'm just
> wondering if that will cover all the use-cases.

Well, in the -Fc case you'd produce it always and pg_restore would only
emit it when you --create.

The only time we need to restore per-database settings is if the
database has been dropped. If you're not having the dump/restore
re-create the database then presumably you've taken charge of the
per-database settings.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd