Re: Updating postgres 7.4.5 to 8 via cygwin

From: Reini Urban <rurban(at)x-ray(dot)at>
To: Nick Texidor <nick(at)texidor(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updating postgres 7.4.5 to 8 via cygwin
Date: 2008-06-29 09:55:21
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Nick Texidor schrieb:
> I was wondering whether someone can help me.   I already have postgres
> 7.4.5 running under cygwin on my web server, and I've looked into
> installing the native version of 8, but it looks like there is a bit of
> dumping/importing of database to be done.   I noticed that postgres 8 is
> available under cygwin, and it came up as an update.  If I install it
> through cygwin, is there any messing around with databases to be done?
> Is that an easier option than installing the native version and moving
> from a cygwin version?

Installing a native version will create a new database.
Upgrading cygwin to 8 will leave you with a non-accessible database.

So if you need the data from the old database, you MUST export it.

See the cygwin announcement, which describes it in detail.

Which says:
Before you upgrade a postgresql package to a new new major or
minor version (7.4 => 8.0 => 8.1 => 8.2), be sure to dump all your data
With the new package you will not be able to access your old databases.
Minor subrelease updates (e.g. 8.2.4 to 8.2.5) can safely access the
same database.
Reini Urban