Re: ERROR: could not open relation with OID 2836

From: Rodrigo Gonzalez <rjgonzale(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: could not open relation with OID 2836
Date: 2008-06-27 14:28:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Alban Hertroys wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2008, at 5:41 AM, Rodrigo Gonzalez wrote:
>
>> Tom Lane wrote:

>>> Ugh, I'd have liked to think RHEL4/Centos4 would be more reliable than
>>> that :-(. Still, you might have an issue with trying to use hardware
>>> that's not supported by RHEL4, especially if it's not a very recent
>>> version of RHEL4. Did you check compatibility charts before purchasing?
>>> https://hardware.redhat.com/
>>>
>>> regards, tom lane
>>
>> It had been working with pgsql 8.1 and 8.2 for 2 years without problems.
>> Suspicious is that problems started next day I've upgraded to 8.3.
>>
>> I've tried reinstalling 8.3 from scratch and again, next morning, oid
>> 2836 is missing...
>
> Ok, throwing a few "random" questions in your direction:
>
> What procedure did you use to do those upgrades? Maybe something went
> wrong there? I'm assuming you upgraded using dump/restore, or postgres
> would have complained about the version of the data files at startup,
> but maybe you did something unusual.
>
> Are you sure there's only one version of postgres running?

Yes, just 8.3.3 right now is running.

> Are all your libraries up to date, no old versions hanging around where
> they should have been replaced?

I have postgresql-libs for 8.3.3 and the compat rpm installed cause of
other software that require it.

> Do you have any stored procedures in C? If so, do you perhaps use
> malloc/free instead of the ones Postgres provides (reasoning you may be
> freeing a reference to the toast table somehow)?

No stored procedure in C, just SQL and PlPgSQL store procedures are
used. Well, pg_buffercache of course is in C as I know....maybe I should
check taking it out and see what happens...

> Is that data-file on a mirror where one part of the mirror may be
> mirroring a bad sector over the good one on the other drive(s)?

No, this is a small, simple server with just one disk for OS and one for
data.

> I may be talking nonsense, I'm no Tom Lane, but I know a fair share
> about postgres ;)

Thank you for your help.