Re: Posting to hackers and patches lists

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Posting to hackers and patches lists
Date: 2008-06-27 08:34:22
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patchespgsql-www
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> * no permanent archive of the submitted patch
>>
>> * reviewer won't know if the submitter changes the patch after he
>> downloads a copy, and in fact nobody will ever know unless the submitter
>> takes the time to compare the eventual commit to what he thinks the
>> patch is
>
> This requires the patch submitter to send an email every time they
> update the URL.  The problem with no archive is a problem though.  It
> works for me because I am around to supply versions but I see your
> point --- perhaps we could make the system have a stable URL but allow
> for versioning access.  Maybe email is a fine interface, of course.

What about having tickets? Track for example or something like that
and the submitter feeling an itch to scratch just uploads it to a
ticket. This way you know the reason for a patch and can even have
a little discussion as well as a link to the revision where it
got incorporated. Couldn't be cleaner I think...
The link to the ticket is also rather stable and you can
communicate in mailinglist about it.

Cheers
Tino