Re: Probably been asked a hundred times before.

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Cc: david(at)eclipsecat(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Probably been asked a hundred times before.
Date: 2008-06-26 21:11:21
Lists: pgsql-general
Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> At 10:30 PM 6/24/2008, David Siebert wrote:
>> Which disto is best for running a Postgres server?

Just to add one more slightly different philosophy.

For servers I manage, I run the most conservative
and slow changing distros that only update security
releases (Debian Stable, RHEL are good choices; no
doubt Solaris would be too;  Ubuntu updates too
frequently for my tastes).  For the components less
core to our business (ssh, munin, etc) we trust the
distro provider to provide security updates and to do
the very minimum of other changes that might have
compatibility issues.

For the components that are more core to our
business, though, we get the source from the projects
themselves (like postgresql.org) and compile from
source.   This gives us the advantages of being
totally in control of when updates occur, and of
having developers be able to attach debuggers if
need be.