About visibility on the website and products.

From: Jussi Mikkola <jussi(at)bonware(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: About visibility on the website and products.
Date: 2009-07-10 22:44:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi,

Bruce said that nobody liked the idea of more adds. But I actually do. I just think it should be planned.

Okay, the discussion has got a bit wild, and maybe a bit off track. But when people feel strongly about how PostgreSQL is seen on the website, adds, installers, whatever, it means that PostgreSQL is important for them. Maybe because of business, maybe, because they have put a lot of thought and time into it. But it is important to many, and that is a good.

Now, on advocacy, I think we have tried to find sources that give support. And companies that have good stories to tell. Something to make PostgreSQL look better. In my opinion, we need to show that there are several companies giving support to PostgreSQL and that if you choose PostgreSQL, you have several options and you can choose the one you like.

If postgresql.org site is very clean, no adds ,no companies, how does it show the wide support? In my opinion, it does not. And that is why we ask for stories. Why don't we then give space for those stories for companies that are supporting the community? Why not a success story about EDB and why they are supporting PostgreSQL? Okay, we need to have a story about Command Promt too. Is that an issue? We just need to see how to make it so that it is fare. 20 more companies? Why not?

Why not make a story of the new PostgreSQL supporter of the month?

Of course this is also about the question, that who do we want that uses PostgreSQL? Do we want that it's used by individuals, people that want to store their food recipes? Or would we be happier with websites, ERP, locational services or something else? I don't know. But I looked at EDB website, and to me, it seemed they are smaller than Oracle. I looked at Command Promt, and I think they are smaller than Oracle too. In my opinion, if many of the PostgreSQL companies want to grow, it's not a competition between other companies that support PostgeSQL. It's the competition with other companies supporting other databases.

How do we get more companies to support PostgreSQL and to add value to it? In my opinion, we can help that by giving them more visibility. And, as I see it, it can be that one company gives resources to do new functionality, another might give money for hosting, or marketing, new adds, etc. Why not give them some credit about it?

And yes, giving credit would mean that we should have some guidelines, how that is done. What are the places, that the adds/stories etc. can be seen and who is seen and where? And who can decide about it? And with this I don't mean that it's currently made wrong. I just think that if it is increased, then it should be very clear, who does the decision and what is it based of. Since when people know how it is done, then they also can ask for changes.

Rgs,

Jussi