Re: A GUC variable to replace PGBE_ACTIVITY_SIZE

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Thomas Lee" <tom(at)vector-seven(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A GUC variable to replace PGBE_ACTIVITY_SIZE
Date: 2008-06-24 13:03:36
Lists: pgsql-patches
I'd like to see some quick testing of this thing mentioned in the comments:

> 	/*
> 	 * XXX if pgstat_track_activity_query_size is really large,
> 	 * it might be best to use strcpy not memcpy for copying the
> 	 * activity string?
> 	 */

If we make it a GUC, there will be people running with "really large"
pgstat_track_activity_query_size settings. In fact I wouldn't be
surprised if people routinely cranked it up to the 10-100 KB range, just
in case.

It's going to be platform-dependent, for sure, but some quick
micro-benchmarks of where the break-even point between memcpy and strcpy
lies would be nice.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas