Can't connect from any system account other than postgres

From: James Colannino <james(at)eracks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Can't connect from any system account other than postgres
Date: 2008-06-23 22:58:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hey everyone. I hope you'll forgive this most likely stupid question,
but I'm having trouble connecting to a postgresql database when on any
system account other than postgres.

I understand that the way my PostgreSQL installation is setup, the
account postgres functions as a trusted account that will allow me to
run psql without a password. However, after I've setup an initial
database, user and password (the database is set to belong to this
user), when I try to run the command psql -d database -U username -W,
after entering the password, I'm told that authentication failed.

I also tried logging into the system as postgres, and then setting the
password for the database user postgres. However, I have the same
problem when I try to connect as this user from any other system account.

I'm guessing I missed something in my server configuration, but I can't
for the life of me figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help anyone
can provide!

James
--
eRacks Open Source Systems