Re: BUG #4259: I don't understand this query

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: kannan <kannan_siva70(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4259: I don't understand this query
Date: 2008-06-23 08:27:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs
kannan wrote:

> Bug reference:      4259
> Logged by:          kannan
> Email address:      kannan_siva70(at)yahoo(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 2005

There is no version 2005 of PostgreSQL. Additionally, the query syntax
you have provided below looks like it'd only be understood by Microsoft
SQL Server.

I suspect you really meant to contact Microsoft SQL Server support, not
file a bug on PostgreSQL. Microsoft people often call Microsoft SQL
Server just "SQL" but in fact SQL is the command language understood by
many different database systems, not just MS SQL Server.

That's not really a bug report. What happens when you run the query?
What did you expect to happen? If you get error messages, what is the
exact text of those error messages? What about the error messages do you
not understand?

In any case, I suspect you're better off asking this question in an MS
SQL Server forum. You might want to think about rewriting it in view of
the above questions so that when you do ask it in an appropriate place
somebody can understand it well enough to help you.

Note: I do not speak for the PostgreSQL team, I'm just a user trying to
help out.

--
Craig Ringer