Re: Major upgrade advice

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major upgrade advice
Date: 2008-06-18 18:24:15
Lists: pgsql-admin
Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> pg_dump by default ommits OIDs.
> However why do you want to completely remove OID functionality?
> space usage?

It doesn't backup the OIDs themselves, but it does set "with oids" if
the table had them. Per docs
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/runtime-config-compatible.html):

"The use of OIDs in user tables is considered deprecated, so most
installations should leave this variable disabled. Applications that
require OIDs for a particular table should specify WITH OIDS when
creating the table. This variable can be enabled for compatibility with
old applications that do not follow this behavior."

I want to incorporate current recommended practice with the upgrade. Per
longstanding recommendation, we don't use OIDs. Saving 4-bytes/row on
millions of rows is nice, too.

Cheers,
Steve