Re: Major upgrade advice

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major upgrade advice
Date: 2008-06-18 18:24:15
Lists: pgsql-admin
Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> pg_dump by default ommits OIDs.
> However why do you want to completely remove OID functionality?
> space usage?
It doesn't backup the OIDs themselves, but it does set "with oids" if
the table had them. Per docs

"The use of OIDs in user tables is considered deprecated, so most
installations should leave this variable disabled. Applications that
require OIDs for a particular table should specify WITH OIDS when
creating the table. This variable can be enabled for compatibility with
old applications that do not follow this behavior."

I want to incorporate current recommended practice with the upgrade. Per
longstanding recommendation, we don't use OIDs. Saving 4-bytes/row on
millions of rows is nice, too.