Re: Problem with press release

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with press release
Date: 2008-06-17 14:45:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Bruce,
>>

>>> 	<A0><A0><A0><A0><A0><A0><A0><A0>http://www.postgresql.org/docs
>>>
>>> I think future press releases should be straight ASCII.  Josh thinks
>>> there is something wrong with my email software.
>>>
>> I'm relatively certain that's the case.  Not one single person other than you
>> has reported this problem, not over the 2 years you've persisted in bringing
>> this up.  Please either obtain some corroborating evidence, or stop bringing
>> it up.
>>

> OK, I pulled the announce mbox file from:
>
> 	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/mbox/pgsql-announce.2008-06.gz
>
> and am attaching the MIME-encoded email that shows the non-ASCII
> characters, specifically:
>
> 	=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/release.h=
>
> In fact I have no idea why the email itself has to be MIME-encoded.

I think I do (looking at this).  The =A0 (non breaking spaces) were
added to prevent the mail client from wrapping the line prior to
displaying the URL.  This would be an issue for mail clients that do
line wrapping.  The '=' at the end of the line is a continuation
character, which indicates that the line is continued on the next line.

Without this, the spaces would probably be displayed on one line, and
the URL wouldn't be indented on the next.

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.