Re: Comments on a separate tab?

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Comments on a separate tab?
Date: 2008-06-16 08:06:53
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page a écrit :
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>
>>> I'm sure I'll complain quickly enough :-p
>> I hope so :)
>
> Hmm, here we go then (having tried the patch) :-(
>
> - On a purely personal level, I'm not sure I like it. I think the
> dialogues in general were much more aesthetically pleasing with the
> comments at the bottom of the main section of the dialogues.

OK.

> - On the table and function dialogues, we have an issue because the
> number of tabs is so wide that they extend off the page on OS X (which
> doesn't seem to have a nice way to scroll tab like Windows/GTK). That
> was becoming an issue anyway, but this patch makes it worse.

I completely agree. Having a big number of tabs is a problem.

> - You missed some dialogues, eg. dlgTablespace. I think you already
> spotted that though :-p

I don't know how I handled this, but not in a good way. Some of my
changes are completely lost.

> - Property dialogues should all be the same size (the accepted
> exceptions being dlgTable which is bigger through necessity, and
> dlgFunction/dlgTrigger/dlgPackage which are resizable to accomodate
> editing of code). See
> http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/branches/REL-1_2_0_PATCHES/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/prop_page_design.html
> (which needs to be resurrected).

It sure needs. http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgAdmin_Internals seems
to be the right place for this kind of information.

> I wonder if effort in this area would be better expended on starting
> the table dialogue redesign, as that should be the only one that
> causes problems on your laptop screen.

You're only talking about this patch, not about the "adding sizers and
spacers" patch ?

I agree we should not apply this (incomplete) patch. But the "adding
sizers and spacers" patch seems still relevant.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org