Re: GIN improvements

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GIN improvements
Date: 2008-06-10 11:38:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Right now this is not a problem because there is no insert_cleanup
> function for btree, but I wonder if we should clean it up.
Look at gistbulkdelete and gistvacuumcleanup, first function wants to send a
bool flag to second one and they use GiSTBulkDelete structure instead of usual
IndexBulkDeleteResult. When it will be needed btree may use the same method.

> FWIW there's a typo in catalogs.sgml (finction -> function)
Thank you, will fix.

> What's the use of the FASTUPDATE parameter? Is there a case when a user
> is interested in turning it off?

Yeah - when time of search is much-much more important (or crucial) than
insertion time. Or table stores read-only values.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/