Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Denne <Stephen(dot)Denne(at)datamail(dot)co(dot)nz>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-06-04 10:51:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers

> Hmm, WAL version compatibility is an interesting question. Most minor
> releases hasn't changed the WAL format, and it would be nice to allow
As I remember, high minor version should read all WALs from lowers, but it isn't
true for opposite case and between different major versions.

> running different minor versions in the master and slave in those cases.
> But it's certainly not unheard of to change the WAL format. Perhaps we
> should introduce a WAL version number, similar to catalog version?

Agree. Right now it only touches warm-stand-by servers, but introducing simple
log-shipping and based on it replication will cause a lot of unobvious
errors/bugs. Is it possible to use catalog version number as WAL version?

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru
                                                    WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/