Re: SF Postgres Meeting Wednesday, June 11

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: San Francisco Perl Mongers <sanfrancisco-pm(at)pm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SF Postgres Meeting Wednesday, June 11
Date: 2008-06-04 06:01:48
Lists: sfpug
All,

Updated description of the talk:

An Introduction to Parsing

No matter what language you use to write software --
from Basic and C to Java, Python, Perl and SQL -- a
parser is part of the behind-the-scenes machinery. The
parser is an essential part of translating what you
write into something that can be executed. It analyzes
your code and breaks it down into contants, variables,
statements, expressions, punctuation, etc.

We'll talk about what parsing is, how a parser works,
how parsing integrates with semantic analysis, and
discuss some different types of parsers and
compiler-compilers. We'll finish with a very brief
look at the PostgreSQL parser.