Re: Live CDs for upcoming shows

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Live CDs for upcoming shows
Date: 2008-06-04 01:13:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 16:00 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 02:38:46PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Hello,
>
>> If we're going to hand out images, it'd be a *lot* better if they're
>> suitable for the ubiquitous USB keys everybody seems to have these
>> days.  That way, we're not lugging tons of the things around in the
>> hope that 5% of the people who pick one up ever boot it, and the
>> people who get the images are guaranteed to care because they're
>> willing to wait a few minutes while the image transfers to their key.
>
> That is certainly another option... please plug in here... copy... Oh
> you don't have a key, well for a 25.00 donation I will give you a key,
> and a shirt and a tote bag...
>
> Joshua D. Drake

We are talking about pen drives with a big blue elephant printed on them?

One place in Australia I know does them would appear to have data
duplication costs included in the price. Maybe blank drives or unprinted
can be cheaper.

I do think that donating for them would be better than giving them away.
The re-usability would make that feasible.

The question I would ask is how to set them up. Do we want a bootable
system installed or would we have a few binaries that could be started
on their already running system?
Maybe copy the requested binaries and installer at donation time to
match their system of choice.

Without the OS installed would make the cheaper 128MB drives an option.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz