Re: proposal: Preference SQL

From: Jan Urbański <j(dot)urbanski(at)students(dot)mimuw(dot)edu(dot)pl>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Decibel!" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: Preference SQL
Date: 2008-06-03 22:48:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jan,
>
>> I'm still working on producing a comparision of preference SQL and the
>> skyline operator, more to follow soon.
>
> The big problem with all of these is that there's no standards on
> approximate queries yet.  So we're reluctant to support syntax extensions
> for them.

Yes, I realized it after some thought - adding nonstandard syntax isn't
so great after all. Right now I'm wondering if SQL standard window
functions can do the things I though could be doable with preferences.
Maybe I should talk to my thesis supervisor and find out if implementing
window functions would be an equally good subject...
I suppose having window functions would be a nice thing? To be honest -
I need a thesis subject and I like fiddling with Postgres. I'm trying to
find an area in which my work would be useful to the community and
enough of a standalone feature, that I can use it as the basis of my
dissertation.

Also, going through the PG development process will ensure that the
resulting code will be of topmost quality ;)

--
Jan Urbanski
GPG key ID: E583D7D2

ouden estin