Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

From: Justin <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules
Date: 2008-05-27 13:59:17
Lists: pgsql-general
Dave Page wrote:
> HI Justin
>
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Justin Clift <justin(at)salasaga(dot)org> wrote:
>

> I don't think it's a major issue. Even if MS do think we infringe on
> the patent it would be laughable for them to try to do anything about
> it given that our rules implementation has provably existed in a
> leading FOSS project for a decade or more.

Having been involved in lawsuits, i wish it was a laughing manner.
Thinking a patent is unenforceable is dangerous thinking.  MS could
target the leaders of the community along with the corporate sponsors.
This group of people may just give up because the process of defending
is so expensive.  Even if we are 100% right it don't matter as it  takes
10's to thousands of dollars to just start fighting.   this bill would
go into 100 thousands in a matter of months.

I have some personal experience with this when fighting a bigger foe
that don't have to worry about money
Right now my family has been in a continuous legal battle with our local
government  over loans its been trying to secure based on false evidence
which would put tax payers in our small community 8,000 people on the
hook for  1.5 million .  We have won every battle and point.  The
Problem now is the amount of money we have put forward greatly exceeds
any personal benefit or keeping taxes low the family would ever see for
the next 20 years.  We are only 2 years in fighting this and the next
election is not for another 2 years :-(  which i may run again .