PostgreSQL full text vs. MySQL

From: Skip Evans <skip(at)bigskypenguin(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL full text vs. MySQL
Date: 2008-05-26 14:53:47
Lists: pgsql-general
Hey all,

I have been a MySQL user for a number of years,
but just read about PostgreSQL version 8.3 and was
especially intrigued and interested in the full
text search implementation using lexemes.

I'm currently doing the specs for a PHP app that
will involve up to the millions records to search,
and it will need full text capability.

I am wondering if I could get some opinions on
PostgreSQL's full text versus MySQL's and
specifically I have not been able to find
documentation that MySQL supports lexeme type full
text, able to locate root words the way PostgreSQL
8.3 does.

Is this the case? I could certainly justify the
switch to PostgreSQL if I can make a solid case to
the client for doing so.

I realize this is a PostgreSQL list, so let's try
to be fair ;)

Thanks!
--
Skip Evans
Big Sky Penguin, LLC

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Miguel ArrozDate: 2008-05-26 15:17:11