Re: Continuing issues... Can't vacuum!

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Continuing issues... Can't vacuum!
Date: 2008-05-23 18:02:34
Lists: pgsql-admin
Carol Walter wrote:

> vacuumdb: vacuuming database "km"
> NOTICE:  number of page slots needed (2275712) exceeds max_fsm_pages
> (200000)
> HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "max_fsm_pages"
> to a value over 2275712.
>
> The problem is I've found the max_fsm_pages parameter in the
> postgresql.conf file, but changing it doesn't seem to be having any
> effect.  So I'm going to ask some questions that are probably pretty
> silly, but I hope you'll help me.  First of all, perhaps the
> postgresql.conf file that I am editing may not be the one that is
> being read when the database server starts.  There are several
> postgresql.conf files on this system.  How do I tell which one is the
> one being read?

Carol,

Do the following in psql:

show config_file;

You should get some output like so:

             config_file
-------------------------------------
 /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
(1 row)

Go forth and edit that file. :-)
> The max_fsm_pages parameter says what the minimum setting is in the
> file.  Is there also a maximum?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  max_fsm_pages is the maximum
number of pages to be used in the free space map.  See Jim Nasby's
article here: http://decibel.org/~decibel/pervasive/fsm.html
> I can't back up my database with the error right now, because of the
> error.  I have a backup but I'm afraid to restore it.  I feel like I
> have many indices that are bloated and I want to get the databases
> vacuumed before I start trying to create and load a new database.  I'm
> concerned that there won't be enough index space for the system to
> sort and copy the indices.
What's the error?  All I see in this email is a warning about
max_fsm_pages and that should not stop you from doing a pg_dump.

Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954