Trying to convert a TIMESTAMP return value to TIME

From: norvelle(at)ag(dot)arizona(dot)edu (Erik Norvelle)
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Trying to convert a TIMESTAMP return value to TIME
Date: 2002-02-21 03:35:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a table with a column of type TIME, and I am trying to insert a
row into it in the following manner:

INSERT INTO EVENTS (EVENT_ID, EVENT_TIME, TITLE) VALUES ('20394XCB',
TO_TIMESTAMP('10:45', 'HH:MI'), 'An Event');

I get the following error: 'column "event_time" is of type 'time
without time zone' but expression is of type 'timestamp with time
zone' You will need to rewrite or cast the expression'.

I have looked extensively at the PostgreSQL documentation, and have
failed to find any info on how to get a TIME value out of a TIMESTAMP,
or else how to convert a CHAR time like '10:45' directly to a TIME.
The suggestion about casting given by the error message was
tantalizing, but I don't know how to make the cast happen.

Any clues or ideas from Pgsql gurus? TKA.

-Erik Norvelle

Erik Norvelle
Support Systems Analyst, Sr.
Distributed Learning Laboratory
Educational Communications and Technologies
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
The University of Arizona
Credo in Unum Deum