Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
Date: 2008-05-20 20:23:19
Lists: pgsql-patches
Bryce Nesbitt a écrit :
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> Here is a patch that tries to implement this. Meta-commands should
>> work from 7.4 to 8.4-devel releases. It was not hard to do, and I
>> don't think it really is a burden to maintain.
>>
>> One part left to fix is \du and \dg commands. I would be glad to
>> continue to work on this but I would prefer to have comments before.
> Good work!  I submitted a similar patch also.

Yes, I've seen that.

> For your patch I have one critique: the version sensitive code is
> scattered all through describe.c.  Are there opportunities to apply some
> tests at a higher level (reducing the number of tests), or gather the
> tests into an easily maintainable chunk?

I can't find an easy way to do this. And question is: is it really
interesting to do this? I'm not sure it's worth it. If you want to work
on this and patch my patch, you're welcome :)

> The cleaner it is, the more likely future patchers will continue to
> maintain compatibility.

+1

Attached is a new version of the patch. It fixes a few issues when one
adds a pattern to metacommands.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.