Re: character varying exceeded

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: character varying exceeded
Date: 2008-05-20 15:30:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

Marc Fromm wrote:
> WE have a db with a column/field of type "character varying" set to a
> length of 1000. A user attempted to enter data into this column/field
> breached the 1000 limit. When the user submitted the form the data was
> not entered into the database and no error or message was displayed.
>
> Is there a way to have postgresql let the user no the entry attempt was
> declined? What is the best way to handle these situations
PostgreSQL does indicate that the statement failed. Chances are your
application code (that does the insert) is ignoring the error. You
should check your application code to ensure that it's handling error
messages on insert failures correctly, and notifying the user as
appropriate.

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.