Re: Global / cluster-wide functions

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: kevin kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Global / cluster-wide functions
Date: 2008-05-19 15:07:58
Lists: pgsql-admin
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 15:12:02 -0600
> kevin kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com> wrote:
>> Hi List;
>> Can I install a PL/pgSQL function so it's global to all databases
>> within a cluster or do I need to install per database ?
> Install it into template1 then each database created after that will
> have the function.

As a corollary to that, you'll need to create the function in all
existing databases, since changes to the template database only apply to
new databases.

Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
Ask me about OTG's expert PostgreSQL, PostGIS, and other Open Source training offerings.