Re: [HACKERS] use of pager on Windows psql

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] use of pager on Windows psql
Date: 2008-05-18 06:53:33
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>>> Not sure why ware are not.  Should we enabled that code on Win32 and see
>>> how it works?  Can you test it? Was it some MinGW limitation?  I do see
>>> isatty() being used on lots of platforms.
>>>
>>> This is kind of odd.  Ah, I bet it came from libpq's PQprint(), which I
>>> think we had working on Win32 long before we had psql working and
>>> perhaps I copied it from there.  I don't see the Win32 checks around
>>> isatty() anywhere else.

>>> Yes, we could do that but does the isatty() value ever change while psql
>>> is running?  When you do '\g filename' does stdout then have isatty as
>>> false?
>>>

>> Good point. I think the best thing would just be to remove the #ifndef
>> WIN32 / #endif lines
>>

> OK, patch applied to remove the Win32 test in both places.

This broke the buildfarm and finally explains the following kluge which
has been puzzling me for four years:

        /*
         * for some reason MinGW (and MSVC) outputs an extra newline, so
this
         * suppresses it
         */
#ifndef WIN32
        fputc('\n', fout);
#endif

I have removed the kluge (and yes, I tested it).

cheers

andrew