Re: BUG #4176: process

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: claudio furukawa <claudiofrk(at)bol(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4176: process
Date: 2008-05-16 20:07:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs
claudio furukawa wrote:
> PostgreSQL is in many process.
> There are 6 process equal. Using ~42Mega Ram of memory.
> I already called and turned off/on the service and continues with the same
> processes.
> This is normal?

yes.    there is the master process, then a writer process, a logger
process, a stats collector, a wal writer, and probably an autovacuum.
Then you get one additional process for each active database connection.

these are all 'copies' or 'forks' of the same code, and the bulk of the
data they use is shared memory, which the windows task manager doesn't
account for.