Re: Join runs for > 10 hours and then fills up >1.3TB of disk space

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: kevin kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Join runs for > 10 hours and then fills up >1.3TB of disk space
Date: 2008-05-16 08:16:19
Lists: pgsql-performance
kevin kempter wrote:
> I'm expecting 9,961,914 rows returned. Each row in the big table should
> have a corresponding key in the smaller tale, I want to basically
> "expand" the big table column list by one, via adding the appropriate
> key from the smaller table for each row in the big table. It's not a
> cartesion product join.

Didn't seem likely, to be honest.

What happens if you try the query as a cursor, perhaps with an order-by
on customer_id or something to encourage index use? Do you ever get a
first row back?

In fact, what happens if you slap an index over all your join columns on
xsegment_dim? With 7,000 rows that should make it a cheap test.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd