Re: BUG #4172: postgres stops working after restart

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: alex <shaselai(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4172: postgres stops working after restart
Date: 2008-05-15 15:32:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

>> The log folder doesn't show any error problems. When I run the
>> psql.exe on
>> the command line i get:
>> "psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
>> (0x0000274D/10061)
>>         Is the server running on host "???" and accepting
>>         TCP/IP connections on port 5432? "
>> I checked using netstat -an and 5432 is not even listed being in
>> use/listening. I also tried changing the port in pgadmin to something
>> else
>> like 5050  but same error.
>
> Google suggests that errcode 1069 means login problems. Make sure the
> postgres user account is set up properly, the "change password at next
> login" checkbox is not checked etc.

and, for the novice Windows XP Pro admin, realize that the Users tool in
the Control Panel is useless...  Rather, go into Control Panel ->
Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups,
which is the 'real' account management tool, where you can see all the
service accounts and so forth.   The 'postgres" account should NOT be a
member of any special groups.

If you reset the password in a 'service' account like postgres here,
then also go into Services, find the PostgreSQL service, properties, and
on its 'Log on' tab, set the same account and password, as this is
required for the service to start.