Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
Date: 2008-05-15 14:51:13
Lists: pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, the question is still "where is the optional info going to go?"
>
> I think what I'd find nice looking is
>
> 	$ psql test
> 	psql 8.4devel  [ server version warning here, if needed ]
> 	[ line with SSL info here, if needed ]
> 	Type "help" for help.
>
> 	test=>
>
> I do feel that the help statement ought to be on its own line;
> the other way is going to look cluttered, particularly as soon
> as there's a version warning in there.

O.k. I am not trying to start an argument here but... I already sent 6
revisions of this patch that received comments and had thorough review
via Alvaro. I even took into account Tom's original comments from the

This much effort on something so simple makes it not worth the effort in
the first place.

Bruce with respect the only useful thing I have seen you do to the patch
in all this wrangling is realign the \? General options and frankly even
that is suspect in my opinion. Can we either throw it away and say,
"Nice try JD" or just commit the thing.

Joshua D. Drake