Re: problem in installing pgsql-8.3.1

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: shohorab hossain <shohorab23(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problem in installing pgsql-8.3.1
Date: 2008-05-15 14:33:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

shohorab hossain wrote:
> Dear sir/madam,
>
> This is to inform you that I am an oracle database user/administrator. But I am going to join in a company where I have to administrate postgresql database. I am new to this database system. For few days I am trying to install postgresql-8.3.1 in RHEL4. My machine configuration is Intel Pentium IV. I have followed the installation document of postgresql that was included with source distribution.
>
> I am facing the problem during the building step of source. The problem is that when I start building with gmake command, it continuously shows messages in console like ‘checking for …………. yes / no’ and I have waited approximately for 3 hours but it continues. At last I have cancelled the building process.
>
> Please give me your appropriate and valuable solution in this regard. I am eagerly looking forward for your quick reply.

btw, this belongs on a different mail list than postgres bugs, as its
highly unlikely its any sort of postgres bug.

I just grabbed 8.3.1 source on a RHEL5 (centos 5) system running on a
p3-800Mhz, 512MB ram, single IDE drive system.... the ./configure step
took

$ ./configure
real 0m57.002s
user 0m33.256s
sys 0m21.346s

eg, about a minute. the rest of the make, the actual compilation phase
is taking somewhat longer.

$ make
All of PostgreSQL successfully made. Ready to install.

real 11m45.484s
user 10m50.175s
sys 0m47.616s

but, generally, on a RHEL system, you should install the RPMs from the
postgres website...
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.1/linux/rpms/redhat/rhel-4-i386/