Re: libpq object hooks

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq object hooks
Date: 2008-05-14 16:34:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I'm wondering why the hooks need names at all. AFAICS all that
>> libpq needs to know about a hook is a callback function address
>> and a void * passthrough pointer.
>
> For reference...here is what libpqtypes has to do to bind via the
> hooking interface:
> http://libpqtypes.esilo.com/browse_source.html?file=hooks.c
>
> Are you proposing something substantially different (not my handle
> suggestion)? How would it work exactly?
>
> merlin

It is important to see how "NON-hook-callback" functions in libpqtypes
make use of the hook data.

PQparamCreate must get a pointer to the conn hook data
http://libpqtypes.esilo.com/browse_source.html?file=param.c#line24

PQgetf must get a pointer to the result hook data
http://libpqtypes.esilo.com/browse_source.html?file=exec.c#line65

These are NOT hook callbacks. The hook data is NOT isolated to callback
functions. It is memory that is publically accessible, outside hook
implementations.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC