Re: translating exception messages of postgresql functions

From: Julius Tuskenis <julius(at)nsoft(dot)lt>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: translating exception messages of postgresql functions
Date: 2008-05-14 15:48:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

Alvaro Herrera rašė:
> Julius Tuskenis wrote:
>

>> I want to translate the exception message. For example I raise an
>> exception in pg function like RAISE EXCEPTION 'my exception', then in my
>> application that calls the function I catch the exception. But before I
>> show it to the user of application I have to translate it. How do I know
>> what exception it is? As Tom Lane answered - the only way is to rely on
>> message text.
>>

> You want to translate it from english to another language, or you want
> to change the nature of the message reported? If you just want to
> translate it to another language, see here:
>
> http://pgtranslation.projects.postgresql.org/status.html

Thank you, Alvaro, but it seems you have slightly misunderstood me. I
want to translate the exceptions I rise myself. That is I do RAISE
EXCEPT 'user "%" not found', prm_user; in pl/pgsql function, but I want
the user to see it translated to the language he uses. Using whole error
message is inconvenient because the application gets 'user "Peter" not
found' or 'user "John" not found' - not 'user "%" not found'. Thats
where the problem is.

--
Julius Tuskenis
Programavimo skyriaus vadovas