Re: BUG #4166: Alter table add column from PgAdminIII

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Mike Gagnon" <mike(dot)gagnon(at)bellnet(dot)ca>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4166: Alter table add column from PgAdminIII
Date: 2008-05-14 08:18:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Mike Gagnon wrote:
> I used PGAdmin III to add a character varying column(400) length, not null
> default ''.  I get the column displayed in psql when I do a simple query
> like SELECT * from MyTable limit 1;
>
> When I try to do Update MyTable set NewColumn='something';   I get the error
> saying that the column doesn't exist....  It thinks it exists when I do my
> select, but it doesn't recognize this new column in my UPDATE...

Perhaps you created the column with a capital letter? If that's the
case, you'll have to quote the column name: ... set
"NewColumn"='something'. If that's what happened, I'd suggest dropping
and recreating the column in all-lowercase.

If this didn't help, please post the output of the "SELECT *" verbatim.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas