Enum input support with drop-down list when editing a table

From: Andreas Neumann <a(dot)neumann(at)carto(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Enum input support with drop-down list when editing a table
Date: 2008-05-09 09:01:36
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi all,

I don't know if this the right place to ask for a new feature? Is there
a bug tracker to enter new feature requests? Maybe my feature request is
already in the pipeline for an upcoming version?

I have the suggestion to improve the table editing, f.e. for enum types.
I don't know how hard this is to do with wxwidgets. The idea would be
that for editing enum types the user editing a table in the edit grid
would get a choice of the available values in the enum field, maybe as a
dropdown listbox or selection list. The dropdown list would only appear
after the user clicked into the table cell of a enum column. This would
be similar to the checkbox that appears for boolean data types where the
user can just enable/disable the checkbox instead of having to enter
TRUE/FALSE.

One could also discuss more advanced of other data types as well. F.e.
if the column data type happens to be a date or a time stamp the user
would get a little calender widget to choose from or three little input
fields to enter hours, minutes, seconds. Entering the correct date-time
format can be hard for average user.

This could go on of course for other data types: for entering macaddr or
ip addresses one could have the necessary number of input boxes for
entering the numbers, etc. etc.

Finally, let me thank you very much for your continuous support of
pgAdmin. I use it almost every day in my work and it is a tool I
wouldn't want to miss anymore. You are doing a great job!

Andreas

Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6
CH-8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)