Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Sigh ...

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Sigh ...
Date: 2008-05-02 19:27:05
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackerspgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>> This fix is surely wrong for several reasons:
>> . the configure changes only broke MSVC builds, not all Windows builds
>> (see narwhal, for example), but this change applies to both.
>> . fixing a change that adds a configure option by hardcoding it in
>> pg_config.h.win32 is simply the wrong fix - the right fix is to add the
>> equivalent logic to src/tools/Solution.pm.
>>

> Well, maybe the right answer is to take a step back and figure out what
> pg_config.h.win32's excuse for living is at all.  I do not understand
> our Windows configuration setup, and what I do understand is is that
> it's a pile of horrid kluges that break anytime anyone looks at them
> sideways.
>
> I will be quite happy to never touch any Windows configuration stuff
> again.  If you want me to, you had better redesign and/or document it
> so that people other than you and Magnus have some idea of what connects
> to what.

Oops, the file is only used by MSVC/BCC, not by MinGW. Sorry for the
mistake about that.

However, all the values are hardcoded, so nothing in it should relate to
settings that come from configure, I believe. These should be dealt with
in src/tools/msvc/Solution.pm (mostly in GenerateFiles() ).

cheers

andrew