PG 8.2.7, ECPG & Composite types..

From: List User <pglists(at)boscorama(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PG 8.2.7, ECPG & Composite types..
Date: 2008-05-01 00:11:52
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hey folks,

Running PG 8.2.7 and we have decided to use composite types. However,
we are coming up against an issue with ECPG when trying to insert data
into tables using composite types. It's almost like ECPG doesn't allow
composite types. We are novices in this regard so please be gentle. :-)

Here's something really basic that we can get working in psql but not in
ECPG:

create type C_AMT as (
amt float8,
iso integer
);

create table items (
itemNum serial8 primary key,
name varchar(127),
price C_AMT,
stock integer
);

and in ECPG we have tried various things which either end up with a
mismatch between column count & value count; or generate an error
where the values for the embedded composite type have been melded
together as a text string and telling us that the resulting string
is an invalid floating point value. Following is an example of the
latter error:

exec sql insert into items ( name, price.amt, price.iso, stock )
values ( 'Test Item', 99.2, 1, 101 );

Similarly,
exec sql insert into items ( name, price, stock )
values ( 'Test Item', ( 99.2, 1 ), 101 );

Are we chasing a dream or just misguided?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fred.