Multibyte (Japanese Character) Sorting

From: Mhor Gonzales <mgonzales(at)tspi(dot)com(dot)ph>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multibyte (Japanese Character) Sorting
Date: 2008-04-29 03:22:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi there,

Im having a problem in sorting multibyte characters.

I am using EUC-JP for my database encoding becuase we need to support
japanese (hiragana, katakana, kanji) text, since our clients are japanese.

I have a table named "user_info" with the following fields:

first_name character(60) NOT NULL
last_name character(60) NOT NULL

We've forced doublebyte character our entries so that all data stored in
the table are doublebyte. The problem is, the sorting procedure. when
you user ORDER BY last_name ASC, the list is not sorted properly. Please
help me fix this problem. Thank you in advanced.

Morgan Gonzales - 1st BU (MSI) - Tsukiden Software

There are two kinds of people in this world.
One says to God, thy will be done,
and the other to whom God says, thy will be done.