Re: Database Connection pool

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: Chetan Bob <chetanpadhye(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Connection pool
Date: 2008-04-28 16:22:44
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Chetan Bob wrote:
> Basically i have one web application and one database associated with
> it Now i want some thing like this I will have about 50 database of
> same schema with different data (ofcource) now i will have some
> connection pool like thing which will have database connections for
> each of 50 database Question ) Can i serialize this db connections. ?
> will it rise to performance problem ? basically whats the way i can
> have db connection pool In this way when ever My Application make
> database acsess I will return any of the connection i select and so
> with effect different database and data. Question ) can it be done
> ...?? I m using postgres Sql as DB Server. Thanks

I'm kind of curious why 50 diifferent databases, and not one database
with some distinguishing data in the tables...    are these for 50
different customers or websites or something, and never the data shall
meet?   Your request for a connecction pool makes it sounds like one
program would be accessing all 50 of these databases, how does it decide
which, whats the differentiating characteristic?

Normally a pool is used when one program is repeatedly
connecting/disconnecting from a single database, classically like
webpages... with 50 different databases, you'd need 50 different pools.