Re: SRF in SFRM_ValuePerCall mode

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "dv (at) nabble" <dvnabble(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers list" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SRF in SFRM_ValuePerCall mode
Date: 2008-04-28 10:56:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers
dv @ nabble wrote:
> I am working on implementation of custom "C" SRF for our team. The SRF uses
> SFRM_ValuePerCall mode. I know that sometimes even in SFRM_ValuePerCall
> mode
> all the rows returned from SRF are "materialized" (for performing JOINs,
> for
> example).

Yep, they are unfortunately always materialized. Back when set returning
functions were implemented, the original patch did actually support true
"value per call" mode, where the whole result set was not materialized.
However, it was dropped because of some issues I can't remember off the
top of my head. The value-per-call API was committed, so that it was
already in place when someone gets around to implement the backend
support for it.

However, no-one has bothered to do that to this date. Hannu Krosing
showed some interest in it recently, though:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg00345.php. I
would love to see it happen.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas