Re: Server format and recovery

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Márcio Aguiar Ribeiro <aguiar(dot)marcio(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server format and recovery
Date: 2008-04-25 14:03:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Márcio Aguiar Ribeiro wrote:
> recover almost all files, so I re-installed Ubuntu and Postgres 8.2.

> pg_resetxlog . When I attempted to run the server again I received the
> following error:
>
> "FATAL: database files are incompatible with server
> The database cluster was initialized with MAXALIGN 0, but the server
> waas compiled with MAXALIGN 4." (translated from my language to
> english by me)

Basically the server you are running now is unable to read the data
files you have. This is to do with the way the postgresql binaries have
been compiled.

My first guess is that the new postgresql binaries are 64 bit but the
old install was 32 bit. (I don't actually know the conditions for the
MAXALIGN value)

Have you reinstalled the same version of ubuntu? (and postgresql) I am
assuming it is on the same hardware.

Did you get the same postgresql package or did you build from source?
If you built from source before you need to assign the same ./configure
options as you did previously.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz