Re: 64-bit CommandIds

From: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit CommandIds
Date: 2008-04-25 07:10:58
Lists: pgsql-patches
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

>>> I think the case for it got a whole lot weaker in 8.3, with lazy
>>> consumption of CIDs.
>>>
>> Agreed.  Let's see if we get requests for it in >= 8.3 releases.
>>

> In the original submission message you find this text:
>
> : attached is our patch against HEAD which enables extending CommandIds
> : to 64-bit. This is for enabling long transactions that really do that
> : much non-read-only work in one transaction.
>
> Question for Hans-Juergen and Zoltan: have you tested 8.3 and do you
> still see the need for this?

good morning,

i have seen this problem two or three times within the past 2-3 years or
so. so, it can basically happen in the field for some special purpose
applications but i don't see this as an every day problem. it would be
nice to have it in.
we could also go for some special contrib module which could contain a
patch along with some documentation but i am not quite sure how this
fits in there.
we would of course maintain the patch.

    many thanks,

       hans