Avoiding a needless failure of PITR

From: Fujii Masao <fujii(dot)masao(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Avoiding a needless failure of PITR
Date: 2008-04-24 14:25:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

PITR always fails in finding the archived log file with wrong size. But,
I think that we can continue PITR if .ready file of the same name exists
in XLOGDIR/archive_status, ie the complete file might exist in XLOGDIR.

I want to modify the implementation of PITR a little as follows.

- In PITR, if the archived log file with wrong size is found,
  we check for .ready in XLOGDIR/archive_status.

- If .ready exists, we try to continue PITR by using the log file in XLOGDIR.
  (The log message about the situation might be needed.)

- Otherwise, we make PITR fail as it is (making fatal error).

Is it worth making the patch?

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center