initdb in 8.3

From: Tim Tassonis <timtas(at)cubic(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: initdb in 8.3
Date: 2008-04-23 09:46:35
Lists: pgsql-general
Hi

I just recently compiled and installed 8.3.1 on a System that has UTF-8
as the default characterset in the environment. Copied the binaries, run
initdb without parameters, the usual stuff.

As you probably are all aware of, this results now in a cluster that
will only allow you to create UTF-8 databases. I have read some posts
regarding this topic where it is explained that allowing LATIN1 on a
cluster initialized with UTF-8 will give you problems anyway etc and you
have to use locale=C to be able to create databases with different
charactersets.

My question is: Why then is --locale=C not the default for initdb, as I
do regard it as a rather big annoyance that a default installation on
probably almost any modern linux distribution results in a UTF-8 only
cluster, fixable only by dropping all databases, rerun initdb and the
reimporting them again.

Apart from that I'd of course like to restate that postgresql is a
wonderful software which I like very much.

Bye
Tim

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Pavan DeolaseeDate: 2008-04-23 09:48:41