Re: After updating dataset the record goes to the end of thedataset

From: "Bart Degryse" <Bart(dot)Degryse(at)indicator(dot)be>
To: "Nacef LABIDI" <nacef(dot)l(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Roland Voegtli" <voegtli(at)scnat(dot)ch>
Subject: Re: After updating dataset the record goes to the end of thedataset
Date: 2008-04-22 12:56:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

Probably what you mean is that you want the order in which the records were
originally inserted into the database. In that case add a serial to your table and
fetch the records like
SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE 1=1 ORDER BY [myserialfield]
It's not foolproof but will in many cases come close to what you seem to be trying
to achieve by not using 'order by'.