Re: Desc Commnad in pgsql?

From: TJ O'Donnell <tjo(at)acm(dot)org>
To: cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Desc Commnad in pgsql?
Date: 2008-04-21 00:14:03
Lists: pgsql-sql
I like the table and other info from psql
and find I sometimes need that info in my client programs.
Are there any SQL/plpgsql functions that are analogous
to the psql \dt, \ds, etc. commands?
For example
create function d_table(table_name text) returns setof record
that could be used in SQL commands in client programs?
I am not concerned whether these are compatible with other
RDBMS.

TJ O'Donnell
http://www.gnova.com

> If you're looking for ways to "describe" a table, there are two
> mechanisms:
>
>   1.  SQL standard (probably SQL:1993) describes an
>   "information_schema" which contains tables or views that allow
>   querying database metadata in a fairly standard fashion.
>
>   PostgreSQL supports that.
>
>   2.  Probably easier and friendlier, albeit nonportable, is to use
>   the psql "\d" command.
>

>> For instance:
>> \dt will list all tables
>> \ds will list all sequences
>> \dv will list all views
>> and there's a further cast of ~20 variants for various different sorts
>> of objects.

pgsql-sql by date

Previous:From: Jean-David BeyerDate: 2008-04-20 01:54:27
Subject: Re: How to find double entries