Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width

From: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date: 2008-04-20 06:46:32
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
The newline handling code was, by far, the most complex part of this
patch.  While I think it would be nicer to "filter up" past the newline,
I just don't see this as a common need.  Large text fields with newlines
are difficult to really view in psql anyway, and they are likely to be
the longest columns in any given query.   Bottom line: not worth messing
with.

I'm split on the new formatting style.  It looks a lot less "grid-like",
which I might like once I get used to it (which will be a while, because
I can't run my own patch in daily use, as my servers are too old).  I
use a version of the wrapping patch that I backported to postgres 8.1,
which was prior to multibyte support, and much much simpler.

I got this warning compiling:
print.c:784: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of
‘mb_strlen_max_width’ differ in signedness
And I did have trouble applying the patch -- I had to manually give it
the filename, and tell it to reverse the patch.