Re: Could not create a tablespace - permission denied

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Graham Leggett <minfrin(at)sharp(dot)fm>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Could not create a tablespace - permission denied
Date: 2008-04-19 16:14:13
Lists: pgsql-admin
Graham Leggett wrote:

> After the postgres user was granted permission to access the tablespace
> directory, and after it was verified that the postgres user was able to
> access the tablespace directory, postgresql refused to allow the
> tablespace to be created until the postgresql server was restarted.

I am pretty sure you are missing something. I can not reproduce your issue:

jd(at)scratch:~$ mkdir /tmp/foo
jd(at)scratch:~$ psql -U postgres
postgres=# \h create tablespace
Command:     CREATE TABLESPACE
Syntax:
CREATE TABLESPACE tablespacename [ OWNER username ] LOCATION 'directory'

postgres=# create tablespace foobar location '/tmp/foo';
ERROR:  could not set permissions on directory "/tmp/foo": Operation not
permitted
postgres=#
[1]+  Stopped                 psql -U postgres
jd(at)scratch:~$ sudo su -
[sudo] password for jd:
root(at)scratch:~# chown postgres:postgres /tmp/foo
root(at)scratch:~# exit
logout
jd(at)scratch:~$ fg
psql -U postgres

postgres=# create tablespace foobar location '/tmp/foo';
CREATE TABLESPACE
postgres=#

But I am glad your problem is resolved.

Joshua D. Drake